Sunday, February 3, 2008

My Weekend in Missouri

I apologize for not blogging at all lately. I've been quite busy doing grassroots work for the campaign. I assisted in making phone calls before Iowa. My husband and I even represented him at two of the precincts. I have also called voters in South Carolina, Florida, Georgia, and Alabama. I can't believe it's been only a month since the Iowa Caucuses.

I wanted to encourage my fellow Huckabee supporters to do everything they can to spread the word about Governor Huckabee. As we know, the media has already written him off and isn't helping out. They've written his political obituary - again. I hope my story of this past weekend will be encouraging to you.

My family and I left early Saturday afternoon to drive to Missouri. Our first stop was in St. Joseph's. We approached people outside of a local mall, handing out information regarding Governor Huckabee. Most of the people we talked to had not decided who they were voting for, and they seemed receptive of the information we provided. We then went to Kansas City to attend a Mike Huckabee meetup. We shared our experiences and our opinions, and everyone who was there is strongly committed to Governor Huckabee's candidacy. Out of everyone there, not one single person would choose Romney as their second choice. So much for the spoiler theory! It was wonderful to meet those who attended. Perhaps we'll see you in Nebraska just before we get our turn to vote!

On Sunday, we attended church in Platte City, a small town just north of Kansas City. We received a very warm welcome. A kind gentleman even gave us "umbrella service" to keep us dry, as it was raining/snowing/sleeting outside. It was a wonderful time of worship coupled with a powerful, uplifting message. I spoke to the pastor prior to the service regarding the AFA Voter Guide. I only had one copy printed out, as I didn't have a chance to make more copies. He didn't say anything about it until near the end of the service, but what he said surpassed my expectations. He said that there were two people visiting who were campaigning for Governor Huckabee (my husband and me). He told everyone he wasn't telling them who to vote for, but as American citizens it is our obligation to vote. He went on to say that as Christians, we must vote our values and our conscience. You and I know that even though he didn't say "Huckabee" he meant Huckabee.

That afternoon, we went back to Saint Joseph's to do a sign wave. Since it was Super Bowl Sunday, we figured a busy intersection next to a grocery store would be a good location. We found a Wal-Mart Super Center, and decided that was a good location. Even though our feet got wet from the snow on the ground, our hearts were warmed by the many positive responses we received. We had lots of waves, some thumbs-up, and several people honked their horns in support. Compared to the hundreds of positive reactions, we received maybe only a half-dozen negative responses. I think it's safe to say Missouri likes Mike. Let's hope and pray that they like him enough for him to win on Tuesday!

If anyone is reading this from Missouri, Governor Blunt is dead wrong in his assertion that a vote for Huckabee is a vote for McCain. Shame on you, Governor Blunt! The fact of the matter is, a vote for Huckabee is a vote for Huckabee. (Interesting concept, isn't it?) The same goes for all the other states as well - a vote for Huckabee is a vote for Huckabee. So let's all vote for Huckabee!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Shannon,
Thanks for traveling all that way from NB to campaign for Huck.
If you could have come down a little bit more south to Arknasas. You wouldve got to visit the state Hucks loves so much and why he loves it. :)

Anonymous said...

The primaries and Caucuses are not a contest of states but a contest for delegates. A vote for Huckabee is a vote for more delagates for Huckabee. Sean Hannity tried to convincce Newt Gingrich to tell Huckabee to drop out and Newt chastized him both times saying that Huckabee would be the power-broker at the convention.

Anonymous said...

Have you seen this article Shannon? It's the best explanation of why you should vote for Huckabee I've seen yet.

http://www.townhall.com/Columnists/GreggJackson/2008/02/04/why_im_voting_for_mike_huckabee

Anonymous said...

Shannon!
Thank you so much for visiting our state! And I want to assure you that Gov Blunt does not speak for the majority of the people of MO. (No wonder he dropped out of the race for re-election he has lost the confidence of Mo voters)
We had a great rally here in Springfield on Friday Gov Huckabee was right on in everything he said, we had over 3000 in attendance, and they were all fired up!

Anonymous said...

I like the fact that your last blog was about your visit to Iowa. Let's hope you go 2 for 2 and Mike takes Missouri too!

Anonymous said...

Nice job! I can't wait to vote for Huck here in CA!

Cyndy Salzmann said...

Thanks so much for your work for Governor Huckabee in my former home state. I was in Missouri too last weekend and made sure people knew that Huckabee's candidacy is alive and well.

Praying for a great turnout today!

Cyndy
http://politicalmom.wordpress.com/